retrocities deluxe

in the mood for a good spring roll, with some duck sauce . . .

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Laundromat on June 6, 2006

I did laundry today. While I wash my clothes, I normally read a book of some sort. Today was no exception. I'm a good bit into Demons (previously translated as the Possessed) by Fyodor Dostoevsky. As I was getting up to move my clothes from the washer to the dryer, a guy walks up to me and comments on my book. He states that he was checking it out while I was reading it and wanted to take a look at it. I assume he's a fan of Dostoevsky and hadn't heard of this book before, much like I had been until fairly recently. Then, he notes on the irony of my reading of this book on 06-06-06. I let this comment slide as I hand him the book to look at while I move my clothes. As I come back, he's somewhat confused and hands the book back to me mumbling something about how he thought it was a textbook on demons and its really a comedy. I tried to explain that it is 19th century Russian literature, but despite that, its quite good. He then said, "you're wild, man..." and then walked away.

I tell this only because I've never before been called wild for reading Russian literature, and find it quite satisfying now that I have been.

3 Comments:

  • At 6/06/2006 8:15 PM, Blogger DRSimrak said…

    You are wild, but not because of the Russian literature. It truly is a weird coincidence that you would read that book on the day of the OMEN (as I have grown to refer to today).

     
  • At 6/09/2006 10:37 AM, Blogger Jo Custer said…

    Huh. I read Father and Sons in the 12th grade (because my legal guardian was reading it) but all I ever got called was "book", "brainiac", "weirdo","dyke" & "nerd"

    I think when Rachel said your name once that she said you were "cool". i would agree to that, if it matters.

     
  • At 6/25/2006 4:32 PM, Blogger joshua said…

    i also like the football equipment and agree that world cup history can be useful in the right circumstances.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home